Courtesy of North Bay Labour Council
Over the years we’ve learned that active members of affiliates want relevant information, basic stuff like meeting times, affiliation costs, and types of involvement.
- The North Bay and District Labour Council meets from September to June, on the third Monday of each month. When the Monday falls on a holiday, we almost always meet the following Tuesday. For each meeting, the executive meets at 5:30, and then the official meeting for everyone begins at 7pm.
- The meeting agenda is almost always the same. To view the agenda, click here.
- For the time being, our official meeting place is the regional OPSEU Hall located at 150 First Ave West. Labour Council is very grateful for the use of OPSEU’s meeting space.
- Non-union members (mostly community-based activists and leaders) may attend. Unfortunately these participants cannot hold official executive positions and vote on motions and executive during elections.
- The cost to affiliate to Labour Council is $0.30 per member x 12 months. Affiliation feels are generally due in January but we’re flexible and most locals pay once per year, twice annual, or quarterly. We highly suggest you make a routine out of paying Labour Council affiliation fees. Better yet, build the necessity to affiliate and participate directly into your local constitution. Click here to read and print our annual invoice.
- Almost all locals affiliate to Labour Council. Greater participation is always welcome.
- Our biggest event of the year is the Labour Day Picnic, followed by the Annual Health and Safety Awards Dinner and the Annual Day of Mourning. We take part in many campaigns and initiatives, like the Fight for $15, International Women’s Day, and Equal Pay Day. We’re also a huge supporter of North Bay PRIDE.
- Technically we’re attached to the Ontario division of the Canadian Labour Congress, but we work very closely with the Ontario Federation of Labour as well. When the OFL and CLC meet for their respective AGMs, we usually find ways for at least the President to attend as a representative of North Bay Labour.
- We support affiliate campaigns and projects, and encourage active members to report about the great things their local does during our monthly meetings. When a local is taking job action (work to rule, strikes, public pressure, etc.) we are there to help.
- We have an important relationship with the North East Ontario United Way and the Workers’ Health and Safety Centre.
- Each year we host an Awards Banquet in early December, with a festive meal. Read the nomination forms here.